For organizations asking how to improve the quality of their products and services and consistently meet their customers’ expectations, ISO has an answer. Addressing various aspects of quality management and containing some of ISO’s best-known standards, there’s the ISO 9000 family.
What is the ISO 9000 family of standards on quality management?
The ISO 9000 family consists of the world's best known standard for quality management systems (QMS), ISO 9001, along with a set of supporting standards on quality management, all published by ISO/TC 176 and its subcommittees.
ISO's seven quality management principles
The ISO 9000 standard outlining the fundamental concepts and vocabulary of quality management defines seven principles that all other quality management standards in this family are based on. These principles include a strong customer focus, the active involvement and buy-in of top management, a process-oriented approach, and a commitment to continuous improvement. Further details can be found in ISO’s brochure on quality management principles.
Highlights from our store
- ISO 9000:2015Quality management systemsFundamentals and vocabulary
- ISO 9001:2015Quality management systemsISO 9001 is the world's best-known quality management standard for companies and organizations of any size. Buy from iso.org
- ISO 9004:2018Quality managementQuality of an organization – Guidance to achieve sustained success
Sector-specific applications of ISO 9001
ISO has a range of standards for quality management systems that are based on ISO 9001 and adapted to specific sectors and industries. These include:
- Medical devices — Quality management systems — Requirements for regulatory purposes
- Quality management systems — Particular requirements for the application of ISO 9001:2015 for electoral organizations at all levels of government
- Quality management systems — Guidelines for the application of ISO 9001 in local government
- Railway applications — Railway quality management system — ISO 9001:2015 and specific requirements for application in the railway sector
- Petroleum, petrochemical and natural gas industries — Sector-specific quality management systems — Requirements for product and service supply organizations
- Software engineering — Guidelines for the application of ISO 9001:2015 to computer software